Skip to content

TSSDAC meets at the Glenn Memorial Woman’s Club

TSSDAC meets at the Glenn Memorial Woman’s Club

Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:48 pm

TSSDAC meets at the Glenn Memorial Woman's Club

ATTEND BOARD MEETING — The Tennessee State Society Daughters of the American Colonists met Thursday, Aug. 21, at the “Glenn Memorial Woman’s Club” at 307 5th Ave. W. in Springfield, for their summer state board meeting. Members in attendance inclu
The Tennessee State Society Daughters of the American Colonists met Thursday, Aug. 21, at the “Glenn Memorial Woman’s Club” in a lovely home at 307 5th Ave. W. in Springfield, for their summer state board meeting. Tennessee State Regent, Mrs. T. Richard Dean, presided. An executive committee of state officers and honorary state regents met from 10:30-11:15 a.m. They were regent, first vice regent, chaplain, registrar, treasurer and librarian plus honorary state regents, Gail Holman and Aline Roberts. Regent Dean reported Recording Secretary Lynda Logan’s husband was ill and she couldn’t attend. She appointed Joann Harmon to serve in this position. Motion was made to pay the bills of this meeting. Mrs. Dean reported we have a few DAC pins to sell at $10 each. Also national has printed a new by-laws book. Each chapter should have a copy. Members attending National General Assembly in April voted to keep the five sections of states across the United States. We will continue to be in the Blue Ridge Section. Our Web site is up and running, and state chairman Linda Mansur is doing a great job. The national president, Mrs. Gary Holder, is still asking for money to redecorate our national headquarters in Washington, D.C. She asked, “Could each member give a $1 to this project?” See if your chapter can meet this challenge. Mrs. Dean reported our Tennessee State Assembly would be held March 3 at the Manchester Coffee County Conference Center in Manchester. Our honored guest will be Miss Jean Ann Elliott of West Virginia. She will be our Candlelight Supper speaker. Clay Lick Chapter will serve as host for the Tennessee State Assembly. General Assembly will be April 12-15, 2009, in Washington, D.C. Registration is $15 and must be paid by March 1 or you pay double upon arrival. The state board meeting of all officers, honorary state regents, chapter regents, state chairmen and members began at 11:20 a.m. Mrs. Elizabeth James led the salute to the U.S. flag; Gail Holman led the American Creed; Susan Orman read the object of the national society; Chaplain Anne Jones gave the devotion taken from the book “Prayers of Presidents.” Mrs. Dean spoke of all the activities she has enjoyed doing throughout this year. First Vice President June Dorman handed out the emendations for August 2008. Registrar, Julia Mestemacher reported seven new members with a state total of 237 and three emeritae members. State Treasurer Susan Orman gave the financial report. Librarian Charlotte Miller asked members to give books to their local and national library. Nine standing committees reported on work to do in the coming year. Seven chapter presidents were present and reported. They were Jamestown Chapter, Knoxville Chapter, Middle Plantation Chapter, Capt. Thomas Jameson Chapter, Col. Gideon Macon Chapter and Prudence Hall Chapter. A lovely luncheon was served throughout the house front parlors on tables decorated with white cloths and pretty flowers in the center. Following the meal members were told to go to the Richard Cheatham House one block west for a tour given by the owners, Tom and Jessie Clinard. Richard Cheatham built the original portion of this home in 1833. He was a member of an influential pioneer family in Robertson County. Cheatham served four terms in the General Assembly of the state. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1834 and a member of Congress in 1837. He had many business interests in Robertson County and also a half interest in the Sycamore Powder Mills. He died in 1845 and his widow, Mrs. Mary Cheatham, lived in the house until her death in 1864. The house became the Springfield Female Institute from 1878-88 when professor J. W. Hewey bought the property. Here he operated a private school, The Springfield Academy, until 1897. In 1902 the property was purchased by W. H. Simmons, who remodeled the house. It remained in the Simmons family until 2001 when it was purchased by the Clinards. The living area is 5875 square feet of all brick construction with six bedrooms, 4 1/2 baths, living room, formal dining room, two center halls, breakfast room and six fireplaces. The millwork is all Robertson County red oak milled on site. The original design seems to have been federal but was changed to neo-classical by Simmons. The house has been completely restored by the Clinards and is beautifully decorated throughout. Mrs. Clinard was most cordial in giving a tour to approximately 40 people. wcp 9-23-08

None

Leave a Comment