U of M star Dozier opts out of draft

U of M star Dozier opts out of draft

MEMPHIS (AP) — Junior Robert Dozier has withdrawn his name from the NBA Draft and will return to Memphis for a team he thinks can be even better than the group that played for the national championship in April.
Dozier had been testing his draft status, and said in a statement Monday that he loved the process and the honesty he found. But he now joins Antonio Anderson in pulling his name from draft consideration to return to a team that went 38-2 last season.
“I’m coming back with the mind-set that next year’s team can be even better than what we were a year ago, knowing a lot of that will fall on my shoulders,” Dozier said.
With Anderson and Chance McGrady, Dozier could be a part of the winningest four-year class in Division I history.
The record for most wins in four years is 133 by Duke between 1998 and 2001. Dozier’s class goes into next season with 104 wins.
The Tigers already had lost freshman guard Derrick Rose and junior All-American Chris Douglas-Roberts to the draft, but both are expected to be taken in the first round. Joey Dorsey finished his career with 126 wins in his four seasons.
Dozier, from Lithonia, Ga., was the Tigers’ third-leading scorer with 9.2 points per game. He was the second-leading rebounder and second-best shot blocker. He shot 44 percent from the floor and had 41 steals.
“I want Robert to come back with two things in mind: to help the team win a national championship and become the player of the year in college basketball,” Memphis coach John Calipari said.

None

Leave a Comment