Tips offered when abuse suspected
By The Associated Press
Neighbors who suspect domestic violence can take the following steps:
• Make sure the abuser is not around before approaching a victim.
• Discreetly provide information on domestic violence hotlines or shelters.
• Put anti-domestic violence bumper sticker or sign on car or house to show support.
• Keep a bag packed by the victim containing essentials — keys, bank card or checkbook, copies of important documents — for a quick getaway.
• Arrange a signal with the victim that means police should be called.
• Call police if it sounds like someone is in immediate danger or if threats are being made.
Source: Officials with the National Network to End Domestic Violence, based in Washington, D.C., and the Family Violence Prevention Fund in San Francisco.
Published in The Messenger 5.23.08