Book club visits Franklin
By: By Sandy Dowland
Visiting the actual Carnton Plantation and Confederate cemetery really brought to life the characters written about in the book by Robert Hicks. The home was built in 1826 and was used as a field hospital during the Civil War Battle of Franklin on Nov. 30, 1864.
Today the site includes the beautifully restored antebellum home, a recreated 1-acre 1847 garden, slave quarters, smokehouse and adjacent cemetery. The 2-acre cemetery is the final burial place for nearly 1,500 Confederate soldiers killed at Franklin. It is the nation’s largest private military cemetery.
While in Franklin, the club members enjoyed lunch at Monell’s Restaurant. Built in 1901, the building was originally the town jail. The ladies reported that the food was absolutely wonderful.
Enjoying the outing were Harriet Drewry, Camille Essary, Bettye Legons, Cardelle McAdams, Faye Pitts, Dean Stroud, Brenda Witherspoon and librarian Sandy Dowland. Other members of the book club include Linda Hearn, Tina Cantrell and Virgie Warlick.
The monthly book club was organized in January 2007 and is sponsored by Dr. Nathan Porter Library in Greenfield. wcp 5-20-08