Outdoor entertaining gets a playful punch
By KIM COOK
For The Associated Press
With the arrival of summer, it’s time to gear up for some serious barefoot fun.
Bold tableware, cushions and accessories are backyard-ready in an array of juicy citrus hues and patterns that evoke a cool urban feel or a crowd-at-the-cottage vibe.
Set a candy apple red table with artsy placemats, and dishes that look like they’ve been fashioned from Fourth of July fireworks. Flora- and fauna-patterned plates are folk-art inspired, while black-and-white graphics add designer drama to serveware.
Whether the party takes place on a lakeside porch or a sophisticated poolside terrace, there are vibrant linens to dress up the table. Umbrellas and lanterns invite revelers to linger, no matter how sunny or how late the day is.
• Crate and Barrel red lantern ($24.95), flowerburst tablecloth ($19.95-$26.95) and Aegean paisley outdoor pillow ($24.95-$34.95), www.crateandbarrel.com
• The Conran Shop shady lace green plastic umbrella ($550) www.conranusa.com
• Pier 1 painted wood dining table and folding chair ($298), coral print outdoor cushion ($25), wire hanging lanterns ($20), hand-painted canvas umbrella ($50) www.pier1.com
• MoMa store mosaic placemat by Liora Manne ($18) www.momastore.org
• Home Infatuation outdoor wicker bench/coffee table ($479.95) www.homeinfatuation.com/
• Angela Adams laminated silkscreened fabric trays ($10-65) www.angelaadams.com
• Anthropologie dinnerware ($12-16) and spotty horn and resin servers set ($20) www.anthropologie.com
• Z Gallerie papillon plates ($31.80 for four), giraffe napkins ($23.80 for four) and cha cha napkin rings ($23.80 for four) www.zgallerie.com
• C.S. Post & Co. gingham and polka dot melamine plates ($3-5) www.cspost.com
• Thomas Paul melamine folk dinner plates ($4-36) www.curiosityshoppeonline.com
• French Bull wrought irony melamine plate ($10), bold stripe servers ($15 for two), mosaic melamine containers ($30 for three), www.givesimple.com
Published in The Messenger 4.29.08