A bath you can feel good about
By S. CRITCHELL
AP Fashion Writer
For a beginner’s bath, one needs a tub, water — maybe some soap.
But as one becomes a more experienced bather, the list of essentials grows. After lathering up in a creamy cleanser or silkening the skin with a rich moisturizer, could you ever go back to just water and soap?
The beauty industry knows just how unlikely that would be and has plenty of luxurious products that help create an at-home spa experience. Many are made of natural and sometimes even sustainable ingredients.
Some choices to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize and relax while in the bath:
• Tact’s Plants of the Earth Olive Tree Body Cleanser is infused with olive extract, ginseng root, protein-rich cottonseed and vitamin B.
• Bath & Body Works Signature Collection Creamy Body Wash Enchanted Orchid is intended to be gentle enough for everyday use. It contains moisturizing oat proteins, milk and silk proteins and amino acids, all with the smell of exotic purple flowers.
• Lemon Sugar Body Polish by June Jacobs Spa Collection scrubs the skin with emollient sugar granules and also softens with natural oils and jojoba.
There is a companion Pepper-mint Hand and Foot Polish in this collection that exfoliates with lactic acid and jojoba beads.
• Hugo Naturals Himalayan Pink Salt Scrub uses hand-mined salt from ancient sea-salt deposits with high levels of mineral and magnesium to exfoliate dead skin cells.
• The Body Shop’s Rich Plum Body Butter is made of plum kernel oil, sesame seed oil, babassu oil, soya oil and cocoa butter. Its scent has citrus, cassis and grape top notes. Some of the ingredients are obtained through the company’s fair trade program.
• Alaffia’s Lavender Mint Shea Butter Moisturizing Lotion is made with unrefined shea butter, a traditional skin-care ingredient in west Africa.
• Me! Bath Ice Cream is a bath fizz with a mix of oils, minerals, epsom salt and fragrance. The product is biodegradable, paraben free and uses ethically sourced natural ingredients, the company says.
• Weleda Lavender Relaxing Bath Milk doesn’t have artificial foaming detergents that can cause dryness. It’s made from lavender essential oils and other botanicals.
• Origins Peace of Mind Tension Releasing Vapor Bath is a bath milk with basil, peppermint and eucalyptus extracts.
• Lush’s Geo Phyzz bath bomb is made of two types of salts, volcanic and sea, as well as red clay from Hawaii’s island of Molokai.
• The Satinjet Maia by Methven is a handheld, hydrotherapy shower head intended to be used as a conventional shower as well as a water massager. It also has a vitamin C filter that eliminates chlorine. The shower head is considered low-flow to meet water conservation standards.
• Spa NK Sleepyhead Bath Oil features essential oils from lavender, petitgrain, bay and patchouli.
Published in The Messenger 2.22.08