Skip to content

Shorthanded UTM women push SEMO to OT

Shorthanded UTM women push SEMO to OT
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. — The University of Tennessee at Martin women’s basketball team dressed only six players Saturday against Southeast Missouri State, after the suspensions of Aunjel Adams and Marie Goyette for violations of team rules. Even shorthanded as they were, UT Martin forced the Ohio Valley Conference’s second-place team to overtime before eventually falling 58-51. Jennifer Angler led the Skyhawks in scoring with 18 points and was aided by Phyllisha Mitchell’s 12 points and 15 rebounds.
UT Martin held Southeast Missouri scoreless for the last 3:47 of regulation, went on a 6-0 run and sent the game to overtime in dramatic fashion. With 31 seconds left, Victoria Carlile netted a jumper from the free-throw line, her first of the day, to tie the game at 48-all. Southeast Missouri called a pair of timeouts to set up a last shot attempt that Missy Whitney eventually forced from behind the arc with only two seconds remaining. On the rebound attempt, Whitney Malone was whistled for a foul with .04 seconds left on the clock, sending the Redhawks’ Crysta Glenn, a 52 percent free-throw shooter on the year, to the line. After Glenn left the first attempt short, the second rattled around the rim before falling off to the side harmlessly.
In overtime, UT Martin was unable to score in the first four minutes and allowed Whitney to score seven of the Redhawks’ 10 overtime points. Crystal Fuller converted a three-point play with 52 seconds remaining to cut the final margin to 58-51.
To open the game, the Skyhawks jumped out to an early 4-0 lead on the Redhawks with back-to-back buckets from Fuller and Mitchell. Unfortunately, it would be the Skyhawks’ largest lead of the game. Southeast Missouri’s Crysta Glenn was able to open the scoring for the Redhawks when she connected on a free throw after drawing one of three first half fouls on Sarah Stinson. Sonya Daugherty found a lane to the bucket the next time down the floor and scored an easy layup at the 18-minute mark to record the first field goal of the day for Southeast Missouri and pull them to within one point at 4-3.
Fuller responded with a jumper to push the UT Martin lead back to three, but Daugherty had an answer the next trip down the floor. She drained her first 3-pointer of the game to draw the score even at six apiece.
Over the next 12 minutes Southeast Missouri went on to push its lead to as much as 16, thanks in large part to a 15-0 run capped off by a Missy Whitney 3-pointer from the top of the key setting the score at 29-13 with 4:18 left in the first half. As the half was drawing to a conclusion, the Skyhawks rattled off a 7-0 run of their own to bring the halftime deficit to only six. Whitney Malone corralled a rebound in the final seconds and kissed it high off the glass to set the score at 31-25 as the teams headed to the locker rooms.
“We fought very hard today and I am very proud of the team we had on the floor today,” said Skyhawks head coach Tara Tansil. “After being down 16 in the first half we really battled back before the half and at the end of regulations, but in overtime we just couldn’t get the shots to fall.”
Mitchell’s 12 points and 15 rebounds was her seventh double-double of the season and Angler’s 18 points was only two away from matching her career high set earlier this season against Jacksonville State. With 15 points and nine boards, Fuller was one rebound shy of her fifth double-double this year. Whitney led all scores with 20 points and 15 rebounds and was joined in double figures by Tarina Nixon with 10 points.
UT Martin will return to action Thursday when it hosts Tennessee State at Skyhawk Arena. Tipoff is set for 5:30.

Leave a Comment