Woodland Mills officials raising civic center rent
By: Donna Ryder Messenger Associate Editor
By DONNA RYDER
Messenger Associate Editor
Faced with rising costs, Woodland Mills’ mayor and board of aldermen have decided to raise the fees to rent the Civic Center.
Beginning Feb. 1, renters will pay $100 if they live in Woodland Mills and $200 if they live outside Woodland Mills.
City residents who rent the building must be at the Civic Center during the entire event. In addition, renters who wish to use the sound system must pay a $25 fee, plus a $50 deposit if the microphone is to be used. A $50 cleaning deposit will also be required.
The city recently spent more than $20,000 to install a new roof on the Civic Center and replaced the heat and air units there.
In other business, after Mon-day night’s board meeting was opened in prayer by Mayor Wade Carrington and with the Pledge of Allegiance led by alderman Waymon Reagan, the board:
• Approved the December financial statements, including total assets of $8,394.72 in the street aid fund, $6,714.52 in the refuse collection fund, $582,493.46 in the sewer fund and $49,017.49 in the general fund.
• Tabled awarding a bid to replace carpet in front of City Hall.
• Tentatively set Project Grad-uation cleanup for April 5, with the city’s spring cleanup set for April 7. City recorder Tammy Speed has been asked to clear those dates with Barker Brothers Waste.
• Learned a public hearing for a Community Development Block Grant has been set for Jan. 22 at 6 p.m. at City Hall. Randy Nelson of Nelson and Thornton in Jackson has set the hearing as part of the requirement for applying for the housing grant.
• Asked Mrs. Speed to reschedule a meeting with David Angerer of the Municipal Technical Advisory Service to discuss property taxes.
• Changed the February meeting to Feb. 18 at 6 p.m.
• Heard the city is having dog problems again.
• Agreed to convert the sewer fund CDs into just two CDs.
Associate Editor Donna Ryder can be contacted by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published in The Messenger 1.15.08