5 candidates to interview for UTM student affairs post
Interviews are slated to begin Jan. 23 with five candidates for the vice chancellor for student affairs post at the University of Tennessee at Martin.
The interview process will include meetings with faculty, staff and students and an open forum. The advisory search committee is chaired by Al Hooten, UT Martin vice chancellor for finance and administration.
Three candidates will be recommended to Dr. Tom Rakes, UT Martin chancellor, for consideration.
“Dr. Rakes convened the Advisory Search Committee early in the fall and, as a result, we received an excellent pool of candidates,” Hooten said.
The interview schedule is:
• Jan. 23 — Dr. Samuel T. Miller, vice president for student affairs, Georgia Southwestern State University, Americus, Ga.;
• Jan. 25 — Dr. Diane R. Berty, vice president, student development, East Central University, Ada, Okla.;
• Jan. 30 — Dr. Vincent G. June, vice president for student affairs (July 2007), Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, Fla.;
• Jan. 31 — Dr. Paul A. Bryant, vice president for student affairs, Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic, Conn.; and
• Feb. 1 — Dr. Margaret Y. Toston, vice president for student affairs, Central Connecticut State University, New Britain, Conn.
“The committee members were conscientious and thorough in their review of each candidate and in their various reference checks of the candidates,” Hooten said.
The committee members include Dr. Mary Lee Hall, College of Education and Behavioral Sciences dean; Dr. Elaine Harriss, graduate studies interim director and Faculty Senate president; Charles Deal, assistant vice chancellor for alumni relations; Gina McClure, Office of Campus Recreation director; Sandra Neel, Office of Student Financial Assistance director; Teresa Woody, Office of Minority Affairs director; Erin Chambers, Student Government Association president; and Erin Smith, student representative.
Steve Vantrease will continue to serve as interim vice chancellor for student affairs until the new vice chancellor is named.
For more information, visit the Web site www.utm.edu/vcsa_search.php.