Johnson still man on Vandy sideline
By: By ANTONIO GONZALEZ, Associated Press Writer
NASHVILLE (AP) — Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson withdrew his name from consideration for the head coaching vacancy at Duke on Tuesday.
Johnson said he informed Vanderbilt Vice Chancellor David Williams, who oversees athletics, and Duke that he will remain at Vanderbilt.
“I’m grateful to Vanderbilt University, its administration, staff, students and fans,” Johnson said. “I have a deep sense of loyalty to Vanderbilt. We’ve enjoyed some successes in recent years, but all of us want to see more success in the future. That’s the goal as I go further in this position.”
Johnson, 56, has a 20-50 record since arriving at Vanderbilt in 2002.
Among his biggest wins, Johnson has led Vanderbilt to SEC road victories at Arkansas, Tennessee, 16th-ranked Georgia and sixth-ranked South Carolina.
He has coached Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler — the 2005 SEC Offensive Player of the Year — and the league’s career reception leader, junior Earl Bennett.
Still, the Commodores have finished last in the SEC East every season under Johnson, and haven’t been to a bowl game since 1982.
Before Vanderbilt, Johnson led Furman to a 60-36 record in eight seasons, advancing to the championship game in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly Division I-AA, in his final year.
Duke visits Vanderbilt for homecoming Oct. 25.
Johnson met with officials from Duke about their coaching vacancy on Monday in Durham, N.C., and met with Vanderbilt officials late Monday night after he returned from hearing the Blue Devils’ pitch.
One of Duke’s top choices, former Navy coach Paul Johnson, was hired last week by Georgia Tech. Former North Carolina Central and current Grambling State coach Rod Broadway also are known to have interviewed for the Duke job.