|The Messenger 10.24.07 |
A new class of Sports Hall of Fame inductees, the annual alumni awards dinner, an “Arts in the Park” exhibit and a family-friendly tailgate party will be the key features for Union University’s 2007 Homecoming Monday through Nov. 3.
“We are looking forward to what we expect will be another enjoyable Homecoming week for Union alumni, students and friends,” said Gary Williams, Union’s associate vice president for university relations and alumni services. “We will have lots of activities for families, and we think the week will provide lots of opportunities for fun, relaxation and getting together with your friends.”
Among the events that are planned as part of Homecoming this year at the college’s campus in Jackson are:
• An address by Robert Pinsky, former poet laureate of the United States, Nov. 1 at 3:30 p.m. in Harvey Auditorium.
• The Union University Sports Hall of Fame induction dinner, Nov. 1 at 6:30 p.m. Inductees include M.C. Joyner Jr., Buford Matlock, Jeff Richie, Michelle Street Czapp, Luis Ortiz and the 1967-68 Bulldogs basketball team.
• The 50-year reunion for the class of 1958 Nov. 2, with special recognition at the 10 a.m. Homecoming chapel service, followed by a luncheon and chartered bus tour of the former campus in downtown Jackson.
• The annual Alumni Awards Dinner, Nov. 2 at 6 p.m. Award recipients are Reggie Thomas, Charles Millican, Gary Carter, Heather Olford and Russell Hilton.
• Homecoming golf tournament Nov. 3 at 8:30 a.m. at Highland Green.
• An “Arts in the Park,” alumni art exhibition, with items for show and sale, Nov. 3 beginning at 11:30 a.m. on the Great Lawn. The event will include book signings, pottery, sculpture, paintings, jewelry and more.
• A tailgate party on the Great Lawn Nov. 3 beginning at 11:30 a.m. Food will be for sale by campus organizations. Memorabilia will be for sale at the alumni tent. Activities for children will include inflatables, pony rides, a petting zoo and the first Family Olympics.
• Lady Bulldogs basketball game Nov. 3 at 2 p.m. against Harris Stowe State College, followed by the Bulldogs playing Campbellsville University.
Several academic departments, including business, nursing, engineering, biology, languages, education and Christian studies, will also hold reunion events for their alumni over the Homecoming weekend.
For more information about any Homecoming event, contact Union’s Office of Alumni Services at 1-800-338-6644.