Skip to content

Family files suit against local hospital

Family files suit against local hospital
A Middle Tennessee family is claiming their daughter was the victim of negligence and has filed a suit against a local hospital.
The lawsuit, dated June 14, 2007, was filed almost exactly one year after University of Tennessee at Martin senior and Lawrenceburg-native Jodi Woods, walked into the emergency room at Volunteer Community Hospital in Martin and never walked back out of the medical facility.
“Jodi Woods suffered severe injuries as a legal result of the Defendants’ negligence, including, severe pain and suffering; brain damage; and an untimely death, all of which would not otherwise have occurred but for Defendants’ negligence and were caused by Defendant’s negligence,” the lawsuit reads.
Several defendants are listed in the suit filed by Donna Shedd of Lawrenceburg. Shedd is Woods’ biological mother.
The complaint is against not only Volunteer Community Hospital, David Oruma, M.D., the medical doctor on staff the day Woods entered the emergency room of Volunteer and Shani Edge, the registered nurse on staff. According to a representative of Volunteer Community Hospital, Edge and Oruma are no longer employed by the hospital.
The suit offers a timeline of events that allegedly occurred the day Woods walked into the emergency room as an “ambulatory patient” at VCH.
Apparently, the UTM senior awoke June 20, 2006 with the worst headache of her life and was experiencing vomiting, sensitivity to light, a sore neck, and a low-grade fever.
Her friend, Jennifer Owen, called Woods’ parents and took her to the emergency room of Volunteer shortly after 2 p.m. that day.
The suit claims Woods vomited a “bile” substance approximately 30 minutes after arriving at the hospital.
Edge requested the patient take a urine screen to check for the presence of drugs, according to the suit.
The suit further states there was no indication of a potential indication noted although Woods’ white blood cell count was elevated and allegedly revealed the presence of bacteria. She underwent a CT and was sent to an isolated room.
At approximately 4:20 p.m., a nurse noted Woods to be “very agitated,” and “flopping around,” unable to maintain eye contact or respond to questions. It was noted in the suit that with the assistance of three other nurses, Woods was moved to another room and placed in leather restraints.
The doctor, Oruma, was reportedly at her bedside the first time at 4:30 p.m. During the next hour and a half, Woods was given several medications while at the emergency room. Those listed in the suit were:
• 4:36 p.m. – Narcan, a drug used to diagnose possible overdose of narcotics or to reverse the effects of narcotics;
• 4:55 p.m. – Ativan, a drug used to treat anxiety and also known as an anticonvulsant;
• 5:30 p.m. – Lorazepam, also known as Ativan;
• 5:35 p.m. – Haldol, an antipsychotic;
• 5:42 p.m. – Narcan;
• 6:10 p.m. – Rocephin, an antibiotic.
Apparently the administered medication proved to be unsuccessful in treating Woods as her symptoms grew worse while at the emergency room. Eventually, Woods was unable to recognize her mother and was moaning in severe pain by 6 that night, according to the lawsuit.
A neurologist at Jackson-Madison County General Hospital was contacted and Woods was set to be transported to the medical facility. The suit cites the neurologist ordered antibiotic treatments and medications to reduce the effects of brain swelling. Shedd was reportedly told by VCH staff that her daughter would be taken by ambulance to JMCGH although she said she insisted her daughter be airlifted to the facility.
“At 6:10 p.m., nearly four hours after her initial visit to the Emergency Department, an antibiotic, Rocephin was finally administered to Jodi Woods,” the suit reads.
While at still at Volunteer at 6:52 p.m., Woods reportedly had “flaccid extremities” and was “not responding to painful stimuli”.
The suit states Woods had to be intubated at 7:10 p.m. when she experienced brain swelling and her heart and respiration began to shut down.
“At 7:30 p.m. Jodi Woods was airlifted to Jackson-Madison County Hospital where she was to remain until her untimely death. She was diagnosed with meningococcal meningitis and encephalopathy,” the suit reads.
As a result of the alleged incidents that took place concerning the UTM special ed major, Woods’ family has filed a suit against VCH requesting $10 million and for the case to be heard by a jury.
A meeting between the parties listed on the suit is scheduled for Nov. 29 in the chambers of 27th Judicial District Circuit Court Judge William Acree.

Leave a Comment