Area News

Domestic Violence Stats: Weakley County Response

Despite increasing attention and the proliferation of sources that help victims of domestic violence, the frequency of such incidents in Weakley County appears to be growing. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigations “Crime in Tennessee” report for 2017 showed Weakley County had 79 incidents of domestic violence offenses, including 58 of simple assault, 11 of aggravated…

Read More

Weakley County Relay for Life Honorary Chair – Joe Lafaro

When Joe Lafaro worked in the sports information office at UTM, he was accustomed to 14-16 hour-days, climbing steps to the press box and back down again to the field multiple times. Now, because of a rare cancer, Joe no longer walks unaided, and his hint of a New York accent is slow and sometimes…

Read More

Weakley County Relay for Life Honorary Chair — Randy Frazier

Once a coach, always a coach. Even when you are facing cancer. Randy Frazier was coaching Gleason High School basketball when he discovered that the health issues he had been dealing with throughout the 2005-2006 season weren’t just “due to stress” as he had thought they might be. Thyroid cancer was the February 2006 diagnosis. “It…

Read More

Weakley County Relay for Life Honorary Chair – Rose Hopkins

Rose Hopkins has spent all of her life in Sidonia … actually, she says it’s “really Hop-In” but Sidonia will do. And on Friday at the Relay for Life, she’ll be representing her community at the countywide Relay for Life in support of the American Cancer Society. The criteria for receiving the title of honorary…

Read More

Weakley County Relay for Life Honorary Chair – Wanda Hamlin

Wanda Hamlin may be retired from 31 years in education but she’s not slowing down. In a week when she is serving as honorary chair representing Sharon at the countywide Relay for Life, she is also fulfilling her duties as a committee member for the Sharon Corn & Music Festival. “I am a busy girl,”…

Read More

Cancer Doesn’t Define Mitzi Calhoun

When Mitzi Calhoun talks of family, the sparkle in her eye and mischievous grin hint at the vitality that made her house the go-to spot for kids – hers and more. Listening, one can easily see her on a cross-country motorcycle ride based each day on a no bigger plan than going where the weather…

Read More

Stanley Black & Decker Acquires 20% of MTD

When Stanley Black & Decker recently announced that it had entered into a definitive agreement to acquire a 20 percent stake in MTD Products Inc. (MTD) on Sept. 12, it set the course for expanding beyond handheld tools and opened up the possibility of acquiring the remaining 80 percent of the Ohio-based worldwide leader of…

Read More