FIRE AFTERMATH

FIRE AFTERMATH — Union City firefighter Josh Pope (from left) hosed down the playground at the Miles Head Start/Boys & Girls Club of Northwest Tennessee building in Union City following a fire there Saturday. Firefighter 1st Class Mike Fussell looked on. Capt. Karl Ullrich (right), who spoke with Miles Head Start center director Sharon Heaslet, told The Messenger the cause of the fire was accidental carelessness with fireworks in the neighborhood. Reports of explosions at the time of the fire, he said, could have been the plastic slides, which are made with blow molds, or the metal pipes, which would have been capped. Ullrich said he did not hear any explosions. Black smoke caused by the burning plastic could be seen for miles. Fire Chief Kelly Edmison confirmed the fire was accidental and that a bottle rocket had been found there. The department stayed busy with two other fires over the weekend. Edmison said there was a garage fire at 2665 Latimer Road, which was a total loss, and one at 610 North Clover St. The causes of those fires are unknown at this time, though fireworks were found near the Clover Street home, which started at the back of the house where there was a lot of trash, he said.

Leave a Comment