Court Case Advances for Alexander’s Accused Killer

DeCora Alexander of South Fulton, who was also a student at UT Martin, was stabbed to death in Union City on May 11.

By Sabrina Bates

A Union City man charged in the stabbing death of DeCora Alexander of South Fulton, who was also a student at UT Martin, had his case bound over to the grand jury after a preliminary hearing Tuesday afternoon in Obion County General Sessions Court. Tony Markee Mosley, 31, is facing a murder charge in the May 11 stabbing death of Alexander.

Assistant District Attorney and lead prosecutor for Obion County Melinda Meador called only one witness to the stand during the preliminary hearing. Obion County Sheriff’s deputy Chris Cummings, who served for 24 years as an investigator and supervisor with the Union City Police Department, was one of the first officers to arrive on the scene at 3635 Joe Fry Lane near Union City the day of the incident.

Cummings told the court he was initially called to the home around 6 p.m. after probation officers notified the department they were there for a knock and talk, thought they heard yelling and running through the house, but could not get anyone to answer the door. Cummings said the scene was cleared at 6:23 p.m. after finding no response and no noise coming from the home. A second call, around 6:36 p.m., stemmed from a report of a disturbance in the front yard. In addition, there was a report of a shot fired near Shady Grove Road, which intersects Joe Fry Lane. Within a few minutes, Cummings was back on the scene where he found Mosley’s aunt claiming her nephew and Alexander were injured. The aunt told Cummings she broke the glass on the front door in an attempt to get inside the home, which led Cummings to believe the noise resulted in the shot fired call to the station.

From the witness stand, Cummings reported Mosley came to the door, took two steps and collapsed. The sheriff’s deputy said Mosley told him twice, “She’s dead; I killed her.”

“He kept saying ‘shoot me.’ I had my tazer. He then said he was going back inside the house,” Cummings stated. He and another deputy had to place Mosley in handcuffs after Mosley reportedly stuck his fingers in an open cut on his neck and attempted to tear the wound open further.

Upon an initial check of the home, Cummings said he found bloody footprints in the hallway before he observed the body of a black female, later determined to be Alexander, in the back bedroom of the home.

Alexander’s body was found lying face up, flat on her back, very obviously deceased, with her eyes slightly open, at the foot of the bed, according to Cummings. She had sustained multiple stab wounds to her face, hands, upper chest and abdomen. Cummings said an initial sweep of the bedroom revealed a large butcher knife covered in blood, a large survival-style serrated knife beside her calf, razor blades next to the bed, and a hawkblade, hook knife on the bed. By the time officers arrived on the scene, Alexander’s wounds had stopped bleeding, indicating her heart had stopped beating.

Public defender Bill Randolph asked Cummings a series of questions on behalf of his client. It was determined during the series of questions, Cummings had no idea as to why Alexander was on the property that day. The deputy said he had no prior knowledge of the order of protection in place between the couple, nor did he know about any of Alexander’s Facebook posts that day.

Cummings said there was no evidence she shared a bedroom at the home with Mosley, as there was only one bag of the victim’s found after the incident. He was not involved in interviews conducted by law enforcement with Mosley and he did not recover the sharp objects found in the home after the incident.

Randolph asked about video equipment found in the bedroom and if there was evidence of recording devices linked to the homicide. Cummings told the court he found nothing linking the equipment to the incident that day.

In the kitchen, Cummings did report finding three to four uncooked fish fillets on the floor, where bloody footprints were also found on the floor.

He shared the only wound Mosley had that he saw was the neck wound; although he later was told about other wounds the defendant allegedly sustained. Mosley was not arrested at the scene, but was transported by ambulance to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union City before being transferred to a hospital in Memphis. Mosley was arrested May 26 for a probation violation charge. He was transported to the Obion County Law Enforcement Complex that day, where he was subsequently charged with the murder offense.

After hearing the testimony offered by Cummings Tuesday afternoon, Obion County General Sessions Court Judge Jimmy Smith decided there was probable cause to bound the murder case over to the next term of the Obion County Grand Jury, which will convene in October.

Randolph requested the judge grant Mosley a bond immediately following the preliminary hearing. The public defender called Mosley’s mother, Retha Lockridge, to the stand. Lockridge spoke of her son’s high school and college education, and shared his background involvement in several sports. She told the court if granted bond, he would live with her at 3635 Joe Fry Lane in Union City — the same location of the stabbing incident. Mosley’s mother was in Memphis the day of the incident. She also reported Alexander had lived with the family in that location approximately a year, although the dates coincided with the time frame when Alexander was granted an order of protection against Mosley.

Meador asked the mother if there was a time when her son did not reside in the home with her. Lockridge admitted there was an incident between she and her son that prompted him to move in with his aunt for a period of time.

Mosley had been on house arrest since June 2018 for a charge of bribery and violation of a protective order charge. He pleaded guilty to the charges April 11 — nearly one month prior to the stabbing incident.

In an argument against issuance of bond for Mosley, Meador said he was on probation in connection with the same victim, who was suffered at least 20 stab wounds from apparent household items with blades.

“He is a danger to the community and himself and we request no bond at this time for Mr. Mosley,” Meador said.

Judge Smith in response sad it was a sad situation for all involved, including Mosley.

“He is a highly intelligent young man who has made his fair share of poor choices,” the judge said, adding he has seen Mosley in court for at least three domestic incidents involving the defendant. Smith said his court issued the order of protection on Alexander’s behalf.

“This court has no reservations at all in not issuing a bond for Mr. Mosley,” Smith added.

To subscribe to the Weakley County Press, call 731-587-3144. 


  1. Tiffany Ingram on June 13, 2019 at 3:50 am

    Why would the mother want him home with her when he one beat her also 2 is suicidal

  2. Shirley Nicholson on June 13, 2019 at 9:08 pm

    He should be locked up and never get out for the rest of his life. He has all the makings of a serial killer. This killing was an overkill.

Leave a Comment